Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Christianity IS boring, irrelevant and untrue...


The question is asked - Is Christianity boring, irrelevant and untrue? It's a leading question and the answer is meant to be no... but I've been thinking...

1. Christianity is boring
The Christian faith isn't entertainment for the soul. As an 18 year old new believer I wanted to be a history maker, to be a world changer. Not actually because of my faith but because I was an ambitious 18 year old.

Now at 36 I'm a mortgaged, National Trust member, married with three young children. And life is thoroughly ordinary. Maybe I missed the adventure I was meant for, maybe I compromised... but life's just a whole lot more droll and ordinary than my 18 year old self wanted to admit. Life is humdrum most of the time, punctuated with moments of feasting and fasting, with reminders of a bigger story than me.

The Christian faith occurs in the ordinary of loving my family (which includes food shopping and cleaning and listening), in friendship, in going to work, in showing hospitality and justice.. as well as in wonder and worship. At it's heart Christianity is the story of God who in Christ became ordinary and weak not impressive, and Christians who follow the Christ are something like that.

2. Christianity is irrelevant
It's a god of our age that demands helpfulness as a virtue. Christian faith isn't helpful, it's inconvenient and even harmful to the life I thought I was going to live. It challenges my ethics, time and pretty much everything really...  and my friends and family who don't know Christ get through life ok most of the time.

That's not to say that I don't think Christ offers the most coherent worldview for life that 'works' especially when life hurts. But 'works' really rather depends what you think this all "is"...

3. Christianity is untrue
Depends here what you mean by truth. But, I grew up with an immanent worldview. This world is all there is. This frame is my universe. Christ steps into the room from outside and says nothing is the way I thought it was. I don't default to believing Christian faith. I default to considering myself good, God absent or bad, people for my convenience... and the Christian faith asks me to turn 180 degrees and see everything and know everything differently.

The Christ is not the way to an exciting, cool, true life. The Christ is the way to his Father, and to renewed humanity - rebuilding everything from the ground up, and to participation in his family and the renewal of all things forever. That's not the life I always wanted. It's not the life I am predisposed to seek out.

But,

...God, who said,“Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:6 ESV)

And encountering Christ ruined everything I thought life was about.

Image: Lex McKee

No comments:

Post a Comment