Sunday, July 26, 2015

Beyond Necessity 1: A window into the heart


MP3: BEYOND NECESSITY - JOHN 2:1-11

For some the hero is Napoleon or Churchill, or a sporting superstar. I find myself inspired by the story of Steve Jobs. I love the combination of passion for beauty combined with high level engineering that Jobs' Apple represent. And perhaps he's just the genius who could make it happen but I'm intruiged.

When Jobs died Walter Isaacson's biography was published. How do you turn an enormous book into a film? That's the job of The West Wing and The Social Network writer Aaron Sorkin. Up there on my list of inspirational people too for the Walk and Talk scenes and characters in The West Wing.

Sorkins approach has been to build his film around the launch moments. Get a window into the man by catching his mindset and his heart around those high pressure moments. I can't wait for the film.

What about a window in to the heart of Jesus?

I know that Jesus provides. His Father in heaven clothes the flowers and counts the hairs on my head. I have no grounds for anxiety. But when life gets bumpy thats how I feel.

I shared this with a wise friend some months ago and he said it sounds like you’re trying to carry the people in your life on your shoulders, and that’s hard work. Imagine instead if you were running a three-legged race with the people around you. It’d be clumsy and messy but a whole lot less stressful. Pondering Jesus I don’t just see him, I get a window into my own heart.

As John shows us the launch of JesusTM, its low key. Films are launched in London - unless you're Alan Partridge in which case there is good reason to launch in Norwich. This is in a little town in Galilee. Yet this account has crossed into our culture. Any church wedding includes the phrase “Jesus attended a Wedding at Cana” and the story of Jesus turning “water into wine” is one of his better known miracles. Few would put the two together, and less know the significance John draws from it.

A brief word on miracles. 
The biographies of Jesus record him doing miracles. If you’ve grown up in the West that might be troubling. We assume that this world is all there is. Suppose you had always lived in a sports hall (like the one our church meets in). One day someone comes in saying they’ve come from Exeter. With them an iPhone, Credit Card, a Crankhouse Coffee. You might examine the devices and coffee and find them extraordinary to your experience of life. What it all means is a question of whether the person seems credible. John marks miracles as signposts. He says: this isn’t normal. And he asks us what they point to.

John asks: What do I make of this Jesus?

Two headings as we approach this account - continued in the next two posts.
1. THE WINE: BEYOND NECESSITY (v10)
2. THE HOUR: WHAT’S FREE COSTS (v4)

Image - from UCCF Uncover John

No comments:

Post a Comment