Tuesday, April 02, 2013

When I feel like I can't pray

Paul Miller, author of A Praying Life:
What a help to me in my weakness and tiredness.
What a help when I can't see light for the darkness.
When I feel like I'm on the floor and can barely put a few words together.

I can come.

Jesus said "Come, all who are weary..." not "Come, when you're up to it."

Naomi returned from Moab empty and bitter.
The LORD has ruined me, she said.
In his hearing.
In his land.
With his people.

Where they long for the king to come.
Jesus on the tip of their tongue.
Come visit us.

"Jesus, I've got nothing" is faith.

Ole Hallesby: My best prayer is my helplessness.

For me, and for rest of God's people. My people who are with me even when geography divides us.

And empty is when I know this is happening.
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

2 comments: