Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Whose job is it to raise children?

Stu is a member of our home group and the assistant pastor at our church, he's also been a dad since about three months after I became a dad. He's serving us as a church by doing a lot of reading and thinking on parenting - for the sake of his family - and then sharing that on his Blog. In the third post of this parenting series he writes this:
The Bible addresses parenting commands to Dad, not mum.... This is not to deny or minimize the crucial, society transforming role of mothers. Instead, this is a call for men to take God given responsibility and also heart posture towards mum... I confessed and apologised to my wife for making her feel like Rufus was her responsibility and that I am gracious to help her out. Nothing could be further from the truth. She is my team mate who is helping build my home which I am responsible for. I am to help, support, release her in her talents and receive her as a precious gift from God.... God holds fathers accountable for parenting because he gives them inordinate influence over their children."
One of those ouch moments that helps you to set your course again.

4 comments:

  1. I was hoping that the post might address the roles (if any) of the extended family and the wider Christian community in the task of raising children.

    Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine Stu might go on to write about that sometime... post him a comment?

    I would think both extended family and church ought to take a role in raising children - vital really, along with other people too - with parents nonetheless responsible.

    ReplyDelete