Thursday, June 17, 2010

Permission to fail

Mike Kendall reflects on Rob Green's blunder last weekend against the USA: Free to fail. I want to live in a culture where there is freedom to fail, because that's the only kind of place I'm going to be able to do anything - because I usually fail. Someone has said if a job is worth doing it's worth doing badly, not to be lazy but in recognition that we never do perfect stuff, we just kid ourselves that we do...

The gospel takes the pressure off, means I can admit I got things wrong, means I can grow and learn and do things differently. Sins instinct is to hide and be ashamed, the gospel means I can hold my hands up, show weakness and not be destroyed for it. It gives me the freedom to make a call, and then reflect afterwards that it might not have been the right call. It gives me the freedom to be.

The gospel stops me taking myself too seriously - I'm freed to take Jesus seriously and think less often about myself. I'm free to bear with other, to be kind to others. And the gospel helps others to bear with me, to spur me on. To be generous to me beyond reason. To pick me up when I drop the ball - to look me in the face and speak gospel truth to me in the moment of my humiliation. so I can carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment