Saturday, October 10, 2009

The underrated gift of administration

Some Christians give the impression that spontaneity and lack of planning is the way to be spiritual. I'm all for flexibility but in the world that God exquisitely formed and filled, I'm all for administration... Stu Alred writes:
'Kubernesis' translated 'gift of administration' in 1Cor12v28 is referring to the helmsman, pilot or ship master. The role involves implementing vision, releasing, planning, delegating and monitoring. Those gifted at this task for the Church will need to be persuaded of the bigger picture. They need to have a deep conviction of the Church and a heart for the city.
5 duties of a navigator which are applicable to Church:
  1. They know where we are going. Know the heart and vision of the leaders.
  2. They know where we are at the moment. Measure and monitor how we are doing clearly and honestly.
  3. They are able to communicate effectively with people. Build teams, motivate and empower others to achieve our goals.
  4. They are able to foresee problems and find solutions. Offer innovation and ways of doing things more effectively.
  5. They literally make things happen. Own and love the vision.
I see from the work I'm involved in the vast advantages of administration - good things get to happen, great conferences, great evangelistic events. Work done off-the-cuff is occasionally outstanding but usually it's not. And it's not just the big things, I'm more likely to benefit the body on a Sunday morning, or a Wednesday evening or any other point of the week if I plan to, if I prepare myself to come and serve others, identify evidence of grace in others lives, and bring the word of God to bear on others. I'm also more likely to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment