Friday, August 14, 2009

Things I love about living in Exeter. 1. The City Centre

Next week it'll be two years since we moved from Reading to Exeter. I thought I'd share just a few things that I appreciate about my city.

The making of any location is of course the availability of suitable coffee establishments. Exeter is of course populated by the standard array of Starbucks, Costa and Nero in multiple doses, of which the High Street Caffe Nero is by far the best. The best place to drink coffee is probably in Boston Tea Party, the coffee is comparable to elsewhere in the city centre but the architecture and atmosphere exceeds all the rest.

I've yet to drink coffee overlooking the Cathedral Green which would surely be the best place where the new Tea on the Green might just be the place to go, though I've not made it there yet. The Cathedral is one of the major high points of the city centre. Reading once had an Abbey bigger than Westminster (on the site of the current town centre prison!) which if it remained would surely have become a buzzing focal point for the town, Exeter has this kind of focus which adds feature and character that Reading has none of.

Downhill from the Cathedral is The Quay which is my favourite part of central Exeter. The combination of the river side, old shops and the On The Waterfront pub is a winner, and a great place to spend a warm evening or a Sunday afternoon (especially combined with Jazz in the summer).

In addition there are Rougemont Gardens which occasionally offers outdoor theatre in the summer, Princesshay new shopping area and the world's narrowest street, Parliament Street which I only discovered recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment