Sunday, June 07, 2009

Superlative Sunday: Jesus loves the church, me too!

What a morning! A time of worship with gospel-saturated songs and prophetic words, followed by the brilliant John Hosier on Ephesians 3:7-13 which on a mere wordle style analysis was emphatically about Christ and the church. Definitional preaching that held Christ up for us to believe in, to revel in, to see!

 John preached the same message at CCK Brighton last month. I'll add a link to todays version when it goes online later this week.
  • "We cannot afford to be casual about the local church"
  • "The United States of America compares to the church of Jesus Christ like a speck of dust compares to the sun." (Piper, quoted by Hosier)
  • "These are my people" (...and this is my crowd. These are crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy nights.)
And he read the Nicean creed! Could make a case for the Athanasian given its Trinity Sunday, but hey - a creed in Newfrontiers is cool. As John says, sure we don't make a habit of reading them but we really really believe them.

Piper is also excellent on the same passage on the cosmic church

Until Tuesday lunchtime I was contemplating preaching Ephesians 3:10 for Reading Family Church in a couple of weeks. One of the reasons I decided against that was that I knew I wouldn't find a better way to preach it that mimicry of Hosier and Piper. The other reason is that The Song of Songs tells the same doctrines of Christ and the church elsewhere in scripture but with a melody that I couldn't resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment