Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Song of Songs 3:6-5:1 (Reading Family Church)

Here's the Sunday morning preach mp3 from Love the church weekend at Reading Family Church. One of the many reasons I love Newfrontiers is that it's made up people who love the church. In view of some of my recent study and the passion for church that I share with RFC elder Sean Green, it was an honour to serve them by preaching the word on Sunday morning.

I turned to Song of Songs and didn't follow the popular line taken by the likes of MacArthur, Mahaney and Driscoll. I'm happy to derive lessons for marriage from the Song but convinced that firstly we must read it about Christ and his bride, the church. I outlined my reasons for this during the Saturday sessions of 'love the church' weekend.

MP3: Love the church - Song 3:6-5:1 - Dave Bish (40mins)

LOOK: YOU NEED A KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOUR (3:6-11)
This is the ultimate song, like the Holy of Holies… the Song of Songs.
3:6 – see the column of smoke in the wilderness, it’s the LORD (Ex 13:21, Mark 1:3)
3:6 – he smells of myrrh, of death (John 19:39)
3:11 – He’s the King, David’s Son, Solomon, and Jesus (Song 1:1, Matthew 1:1)
3:11 – He comes to his wedding, the day of his gladness.
What was said about Jesus? How does this affirm or challenge me? How can we be increasing our spiritual appetites for Jesus?
HEAR: JESUS DOESN'T LOVE 'YOU', JESUS LOVES 'THE CHURCH' (4:1-16)
Jesus comes for his beloved (4v1). And he begins to extol her beauty (4v1-5) – a perfect seven characteristics, described poetically. Who is she? The bride of Jesus isn’t me, it’s the church. He is (4v9) captivated with the church. How? He sees her. He sees what she is by his blood. Terry Virgo observes – “the church… is not composed of those who dislike talk about the blood of Jesus.” To be churchy is a glorious thing. Speak well of her as he does. God says (1 Cor 3:17) ‘you touch my church and I’ll smash your face’ (Michael Ots) How do you tend to speak of the church? What needs to change? How could we speak of the church to those who aren’t Christians?
COME: BE FOUND IN THE CHURCH: LOVE THE CHURCH (4:6, 5:1)
4:8 he says come, 5:1 he comes and Christ and the church get drunk on love together. Marriage isn’t entered lightly, it’s taken seriously. Don’t be casual with the church – don’t sit on the edge watching and fault finding, dive in and be part of her. The church is the happiest place on earth, when you’re inside. Know the love of God through the people of God. Look to the big picture – to the end of the story, Revelation 21:9, come see the bride! How can I include my life in the church family? How can I include the church family in my life? How will I “love the church” this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment