Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Going somewhere new today?

I keep finding myself in places I'd never thought about being. Like shopping for prams and cots. And then, last night we went to our first parentcraft seminar, mostly on breastfeeding. So there you go then. When did you last find yourself somewhere new?

More seriously, a couple of people recently challenged me on the way that I can come across kinda quiet and unfriendly when I meet people. Part of me wants to blame that on "extroverts not being able to handle people who aren't loud like them", but to be honest it's a fair critique of me. The introvert label suits me when I want it, but truth is I can talk for days when I want to about things I want to with people I'm more comfortable with, and yet often when I meet new people I hold back and fail to be interested.

Luther's definition of sin cuts me deep in this. He said: sin is man curved in on himself. The Spirit-changing work I need is to come out of myself and be more other-centred, less selfish, more loving, more human. That's somewhere new for me to go, and I want to go there - even today. 

And relatedly I'm really thankful for the  two people who called me out on this in the last fortnight. Making that kind of observation of my life was a real gift to me and it would have been really easy for them to have not said anything and in so doing to have not loved me as much. Change happens in small steps but I'm up for it. If you meet me, help me. Either way, please pray for me.

10 comments:

  1. Bless you mate. Remember when I suggested some amateur dramatics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proverbs 27.6! Thanks for this honest post. A similar thing happened to me a short while ago and has proved to be of inestimable value. It is especially important for those in ministry to have people who can say such things. And it is gives me courage, insight and wisdom into something I need to say to someone else, but keep bottling....

    ReplyDelete
  3. bish - you've said that you don't like 'confessional' blogging. I think you're at your best when you do!

    thanks for the challenge to go somewhere new - to do move to new places in following Jesus: be they inward or outward areas of obedience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the honesty, Dave. I am the same way. It's always interesting to see how others perceive you, especially when what they perceive is so different from how you view yourself.

    I've never heard the "not being able to handle people who aren't as loud as them." You'd think it would be the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post helps your blog to be a 'community' of grace http://timchester.wordpress.com/2008/
    11/02/communities-of-performance-
    verses-communities-of-grace/
    (which i think you probably linked to a while back)
    am encouraged by your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps you should also go an re-research the terms Introvert and extrovert? And while I think Introverts should perhaps be polite to new people they meet, its not necessarily an indicator of Sin that somebody is shy or wary of people they do not know how to "trust" to use a bold word.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauri - yeah, I'm not saying its always sin, I just think it may be in my case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, wanted to write and say thank you for this honest post - but it looks like several people got there first!!! I blame the time difference (Though Andy managed to get in there somehow!) Seriously though, very helpful and much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your personal struggle. You never know who you may be helping.

    ReplyDelete