Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Triumph of the Gospel

Some will disagree with much of what John Piper says in the context of this quote (which runs along the lines of his preaching at New Word Alive, see the Comments at Tony Reinke's posting of this), and some of that critique might well be fair, with a little too much being concluded from the verses cited. Also, it is The Cross rather than nature, law or suffering that is the great revealer of the dark depths of moral evil, though none of us can claim to be over-outraged with the evil of sin. Nonethless, this excerpt is a glorious telling of God's story:

"[The Universe] will be created perfect. It will, by my decree, fall. I will labor patiently for thousands of years with a people recalcitrant showing the depth of human sin and I will at the center and apex of my purpose, send my Son to bear my wrath on my people. And then I will gather a people who believe in him for myself. And then I will return and I will cast all of the unbelievers into hell, which will demonstrate the infinite worth of my glory and the infinite value of my Son’s sacrifice, which they have rejected. And I will renew the earth and I will make my people so beautiful and then tailor this universe for them with this purpose—that when my Son is lifted up with his wounds, they will sing the song of the Lamb who was slain before the foundation of the world in the mind of God who planned it all."

John Piper: The Triumph of the Gospel in the New Heavens and the New Earth (Resolved Conference 2008, Palm Springs, CA) (mp3)

ht: Tony Reinke

No comments:

Post a Comment