Friday, March 07, 2008

Open the eyes of my heart Lord

I was reading Psalm 73 recently. Asaph writes and is confident in the goodness of God. Yet there is a problem. He observes that 'good things happen to bad people'. Why? For sixteen verses he wrestles with this. Until: v17. ...until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end. What did he see? How did that help? In the sanctuary he will have seen blood. The death required for the sin of the prospering wicked people. And the blood that speaks to foreshadow Jesus' blood for him. He sees the way that God comes near to his people and how this is better than all the prosperity of the wicked. The LORD is his refuge (v28) and instead of bewilderment at the world he becomes a preacher, telling of the LORD's works.

This is something of a picture of how the cross is the answer to every question. Of how there is a gospel centred word to speak into the questions we have. In different ways, to different effects. Anything but gospel-centricity leaves the Christian crying: (v16) ...when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task.. I love to blog because it helps me to think myself clear, but really the answer is not found in the multiplying of my words but in meditating upon the works of God, in the sanctuary where blood is shed for sin and where God comes near. Only in the shadow of the cross, in the presence of the Spirit, in the sound of the gospel word is there understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment