Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Don't waste your life

"I will not simply be sovereign triumph of God’s grace over their rebellious will."analyzed, I will be adored. I will not simply be pondered, I will be proclaimed. My sovereignty is not simply to be scrutinized, it is to be heralded. It is not grist for the mill of controversy, it is gospel for sinners who know that their only hope is the sovereign triumph of God’s grace over their rebellious will."
John Piper on why he quit being a professor to be a preacher

At the weekend someone asked me whether I think I'lll keep on doing the kind of work I'm doing now. Quotes like the above, from John Piper in 1979, are at the root of my answer. An answer which is basically yes. Contexts may change. And it'd be godly to do some other kind of work. Who knows, I may end up otherwise employed... but I have an itch that doesn't go away that is convinced of the priority of getting God's word open with people - proclaiming and heralding the glory of God. I'm happy organising conferences, managing timesheets, being involved in recruitment - because they're means to an end: enabling God's word to be opened with people. Likewise, I'm happy to engage in debates over the atonement and writes thousands of words of other blogging - but mostly because it helps me to think myself clear before I head out the door to go do what I'm meant to be getting on with.

No comments:

Post a Comment