Monday, January 07, 2008

The Elephant of Kettering

I've been staying at my parents house for the last few days and Dad and I have been talking about Christian heroes from the county. That drew my thinking to Andrew Fuller who has probably surpassed William Carey in my heart, not that I'm really drawing lines. Fuller was the theologian-pastor behind the modern missionary movement that sent William Carey to India.

Fuller wrote: The doctrine of the cross is more dear to me than when I went. I wish I may never preach another sermon but what shall bear some relation to it. I see and feel, more and more, that except I eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of man I have no life in me, either as a Christian or as a minister. Some of the sweetest opportunities I had in my journey were in preaching Christ crucified: particularly on those passages, “Unto you that believe he is Precious.” – “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.” – “He that hath the Son hath life,” etc.– “That they all may be one,” etc. (191). Cited at The Elephant of Kettering

See John Piper's biography of Andrew Fuller for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment