Saturday, December 01, 2007

Why does it always rain on me?

I've been caught in the late autumn (winter?) rain a couple of times recently. As the torrents poured down on me outside of Exeter St Davids last night, and this afternoon as we packed up around the shed we're building I instinctively want to say that it's a horrible experience reverting to Alanis' Ironic or Travis' despair about it... Yet, whatever I do I'm meant to live to the glory of God... What can I do when it rains to be godly? 10 thoughts:
  1. Genesis 9v13-15. God isn't going to let it keep raining forever (even if it did rain for quite a while this summer). The world will be judged and renewed, but not through rain. Remember the rain will stop.
  2. Isaiah 4v5-6. The Lord provides the refuge we need from the rain.
  3. Isaiah 55v9-11. Remember God's word is like rain. It comes from heaven and bears a harvest. Human ideas get us no where near God but God's word reveals him to us and it serves it's purpose. See also Hebrews 6v7. Is the word bearing a crop in my life?
  4. Jeremiah 51v15-17. Amongst other places - it's God who made it rain. Thanking him for what he does is a good idea rather than grumbling!
  5. Matthew 5v45. Everyone gets rained on, good or bad. It's not because someone put their washing out or because I lied when I was seventeen.
  6. Matthew 7v24-29. When it rains houses without foundations fall down, houses with foundations stand. Do I have foundations? Have I put the word of God into practice?
  7. Luke 12v54-56. Before it rains you can see it's coming... likewise read the times and see that God's final judgement is coming. Believe that.
  8. Acts 14v17. Rain is God's kindness to provide food to fill our stomaches and our hearts with joy. God provides the food not Tescos and that requires some rain, amongst other things.
  9. Acts 28v1. When Paul was shipwrecked in Malta it was raining. People get wet, and it's kindness from God's people to provide some warmth.
  10. Jude 1v12. Clouds without rain are useless - like false teachers who twist the grace of God. Cloud that produce rain remind me of the reality of grace in the life of God's people.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking me through Bible rain! And awesome cartoon, haha. Have just endured the worst week of rain in all my 21 years this last week at Momentum, so glad to be back in the warm and dry. Rain or shine, see you at Forum in a week and a bit!

    Sunil

    ReplyDelete