Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Preach the word, change the world

Martin Luther:
“I opposed indulgences and all the papists, but never with force. I simply taught, preached, and wrote God’s Word; otherwise I did nothing. And while I slept , or drank Wittenberg beer with my friends Philipp and Amsdorf, the Word so greatly weakened the papacy that no prince or emperor ever inflicted such losses upon it. I did nothing; the Word did everything.”
I'm enjoying studying 2 Timothy at the moment. Great encouragements to guard God's gospel, to have humble character, concern for the truth and simply to preach the word. The simple apostolic strategy for the continuation of the church! For some reason it seems to be the easiest thing in the world not to do it... for us to be shameful-workmen who love to engage in the youthful passions of arrogant arguments.... the church drifts from the sound doctrine of the glorious gospel and into gangrenous error. God can guard his gospel and I want to do that too.

Today, Colin Adams shares some very wise words on 'giving prominence to God's word'.
"the very way we are seen to handle the bible will set an example, for good or ill."
Ramesh Richard on the benefits of Expository Preaching (ht: Milton Stanley)
"Basically, expository preaching helps the preacher promote God’s agenda for his people.”

3 comments:

  1. Interesting you should bring this up - Dan Edelen over at Cerulean Sanctum has just posted on "The Question No One Wants to Ask": Is pulpit preaching ineffective at creating disciples?

    He says: "I agree that speaking the truth of God to each other is about as important as it gets. However, I am simply not convinced that pulpit-based preaching is the best means to get the message out anymore." He raises what he sees as four important "missing ingredients" in the way we preach.

    I've not weighed up exactly how much I do and don't agree with what he says, but what he has to say is certainly thought-provoking, and probably helpful in challenging any complacent assumption that just because we've got someone at the front holding a Bible talking for half an hour or so, we're doing justice to the Biblical command to "preach the Word".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, pulpit preaching is important but I think there is more to disciple-making than just what goes on at the front for 1/2 hour every Sunday - Paul after all commands Timothy to guard his LIFE as well as his doctrine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to think a combination of preaching, example and one-on-one teaching is what's needed...

    ReplyDelete