Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My life is hid with Christ in God

Hebrews 2:5-3:6.

What is the world like? v15&16 tell us that the world is in lifelong slavery because of the fear of death. It doesn't always show, but things are not always how they seem. And this feeble power is wielded by the devil. He offers us the best he can and it is a pathetic life of slavery. And we buy it. He wants us to despair.
When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
But then Jesus. Then Jesus! The one who is higher than angels. But for a time be became lower than angels. He became a man. In coming lower he tasted death and suffering for us - and is now in glory and honour. In doing this he becomes our perfect priest and sacrifice. The propitiation for our sin - God's means of becoming favourable towards man. On Jesus fell God's wrath that I deserved. God's justice satisfied.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me
Jesus is superior to angels, and also to Moses. Moses served God's house. Jesus is the Son over it. He is the Son over us, God's house, but we're also Jesus' brothers. We share in his glory. We're no longer living in lifelong slavery. Instead we're brothers with the Son. Inheritors along with him. Knowing life not death. Knowing joy not misery.

So what do to? Consider Jesus (3v1) and put all confidence in him, and all boasting. In heart and mind dwell on the one who suffered, died and rose for us. God's one perfect high priest who stands between us and God. Not a church leader. Not an ordinary man. The perfect God-man full of saving love!
Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
Where is my life? In Christ. I'm dead. But he lives! And I live in him! Our brother, Jesus the exalted Son of God! Whatever testing or tempting comes our way - dwell on him. Fix your eyes on him, or drift away with dire consequences. Enjoy the favour of God rather than his displeasure. Enjoy the pleasure of God towards His Son!
One in Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!
(Song: Charitie Bancroft, Before the Throne of God Above; Music: Steve & Vikki Cook - Songs for the Cross-Centered Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment