Friday, March 10, 2006

Christian Marriage

Pyromaniac Dan Phillips asks some great questions about Christian marriage.

Really challenging - at the heart of every situation the gospel must be central. Tim Rudge advised me a month before I got married that marriage is "two sinners living under the same roof". Further advice observed that marriage is about when "sinners say I do". And in that context the first point is not that Em is a sinner, but that I am. And above all we're both dependent upon the grace of God in Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

  1. Firstly, lovely photo!

    Secondly, read this today...
    "I don't believe in marriage. My ancestors wouldn't approve, but it's such a huge commitment to stand up in church and sear to God you're going to be faithful to a person for life. things change so rapidly you might have to break the promise." (Jane Horrocks)

    Well, at least she recognises it's a huge committment, eh, which unfortunately many people don't nowadays (just another excuse for a party...)

    I dunno, comments like this exasperate me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...should have said 'swear', not 'sear'... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my memory of the day that photo was taken would necessitate the quote from Rudgie being moderated to "when two snogging sinners marry"...

    I've yet to see such a passionate repeat of 'you may now kiss the bride'

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can say what you want but we enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not going to say that I DID enjoy it BUT I enjoyed watching your pastor go beetroot red and having so much material for making jokes during the sermon ;o)

    I also enjoy your blog :oD (well, most of the posts anyway - Podcast indeed!)

    ReplyDelete